Sunday, November 14, 2010

Cafe La Ruche

French restaurants in Georgetown are a dime a dozen, yet each one seems to offer something special. Cafe La Ruche provides their patrons with their own spin on Southern French cooking as well as the dining experience.

Located on a niche spot between K and M streets Cafe La Ruche, which is means beehive in French has been serving up contemporary French cuisine since 1979.



The quiet and relaxed outdoor patio is reminiscent of a European style cafe and is the perfect example of what the Georgetown area has to offer. This setting is ideal for just about any setting, whether it be a quick lunch time meeting or a quiet meal by yourself with a book in hand.

(Picture brought to you by Yelp)

The first time I came here the weather was too cold to sit outside so I was forced to skip the outside patio experience and stay inside. On most cold days I decide that a soup is a necessary part of my meal and that was no different on this occasion.

I started off with traditional Southern French fish soup with bread and butter. The soup was flavorful with a good combination of spices, vegetables, and a generous portion of fish. I have had this type of soup before but with different spins on the ingredients, needless to say I was satisfied with what I had purchased.

(Soupe De Poisson)

I continued my meal with a crab quiche which has received rave reviews both Yelp and Urbanspoon. While I did enjoy both the flavor and texture of the quiche, in the end the bitterness of swiss cheese became so overwhelming that I could not finish my meal. The salad that came with it was simple and refreshing. The whole meal cost me $20 including a tip which isn't too bad for restaurant style food for one.

(Quiche Au Crabe)

On my next venture I decided to stick to my roots and order one of my favorite soups. French onion soup is a staple of French culture, enjoyed by both the rich and poor. It was severed in it's traditional form, in clay pot with french bread and topped with melted swiss cheese.

The soup was delicious as is the case with most places that serve it. The mountain of oozing cheese coupled with soaked bread and onions yielded yet another foodgasm of eminent proportion.

(Soupe A L'Oigonon Gratinee)

For the next part of my meal I decided to try pate for the first time. This specific pate was made with duck and cornichons which is very popular in both France and Belgium. It is usually severed with crackers so I was a bit surprised when I did not get any. The taste of the dish resembled it's presentation, dull and poorly put together.


(Mousse De Canard)

While I did enjoy the experience of trying something new, I left feeling cheated by my introduction to pate. I am also aware that it is usually an appetizer to be shared with several people so having that much to yourself may have skewed my judgement. Regardless I did enjoy my overall meal which came out to $14 including tip.

After I paid I went to the front to check out their renowned desserts which you can see below. I am not that much of a sweets person so I did not try any but intend to in the future.


(Picture brought to you by Yelp)

All in all I did enjoy this quiet spot. This is my ideal spot for a summer lunch with my coworkers or an afterwork snack. It was never full but that doesn't really say anything since I do tend to take later lunches. The service was good and the prices are reasonable. I would recommend anyone with a passion for French cuisine to give this place a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment